A struggle involving three men near Seven Points, Sunday, left one man dead, another wounded, and the third in the Henderson County Jail, as indicated from reports from the Henderson County Sheriff’s Office.

According to a statement from Sheriff Ray Nutt, Wilburn Murl Stanfield Jr., 43, of Kemp, died as a result of being struck by a truck and trailer driven by a man he had wounded with a shotgun just moments before.

The driver of the truck has been identified as Jeff Whitworth, 33, also of a Kemp address.

No immediate charges have been filed against Whitworth, Nutt said.

The third person involved in the incident, Patrick Lewis Russey, was booked into the Henderson County Jail on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He remained in custody Monday, with bond set at $50,875.

The HCSO narrative of the events said deputies responded to a disturbance call at about 6:30 p.m. from a residence on County Road 2100. Deputies arrived, and spoke with Whitworth who had sustained apparent gunshot wounds to the chest, arm and face. Additional deputies soon arrived, and found Stanfield’s body in the driveway.

The deputies sent for the HCSO command staff, who converged at the scene, along with investigators from the District Attorney’s Office. The officers learned that Whitworth and a family member had been riding ATV’s on and near their property, leading to a verbal argument regarding alleged reckless driving in the area.

Following the argument, Stanfield reportedly went to his nearby home where he got a shotgun and pistol. He returned, along with his cousin, Russey, to confront Whitworth.

When they arrived back at the residence, Stanfield allegedly got out of the vehicle, and began threatening Whitworth with the shotgun. As the argument intensified, Stanfield is alleged to have fired at least one shotgun blast that struck Whitworth.

Reports said Whitworth then got into his vehicle, and attempted to flee the area. Stanfield was about 12 inches from the truck when Whitworth began to accelerate. The truck hit Stanfield with the driver’s side knocking him to the ground. Whitworth continued to drive away, striking Stanfield with the rear tire of the truck, and the tires of the attached trailer.

At that point, Russey fired at least one round from the handgun, and hit Whitworth’s truck in the driver’s side door area.

Whitworth was treated by East Texas Medical Center staff, and was listed in stable condition.

Stanfield was pronounced dead at the scene by Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Dale Blaylock. His body was transported to the medical examiner’s office in Dallas for autopsy.

Officers arrested Russey at the scene, and transported him to jail, where in addition to the aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge, he was also booked for two traffic warrants from Gun Barrel City.

Ceresa Ballard is heading the case for the HCSO, which will be turned over to Henderson County District Attorney Scott McKee’s office for review and possible action.

Trending Video

Recommended for you