Danielle Celeste Yura

A crowd of more than 400 gathered at the Brownsboro High School Gym Wednesday to remember 18-year-old Danielle Celeste Yura, who died Monday from complications during childbirth.

Her baby, Jackson Daniel-Key Yura, survived.

Two days earlier, family and friends gathered at East Texas Medical Center Athens as Yura gave birth to a son. There had been no warning signs to prepare them for Yura’s death.

“Nobody expected it,” said Gary Fincher, Yura’s stepfather.

Services for Yura are scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, at Rock Hill Baptist Church in Brownsboro with the Rev. Tommy Weems and Pastor David Dyess officiating.

Burial will follow at New Hope Cemetery. Services are under the direction of Chandler Memorial Funeral Home.

“She loved her baby that she never got to see. She wanted to be a good mother. He’s fine and beautiful just like his mother was,” Fincher said.

Fincher said Danielle’s mother, Susie Fincher, has always loved the Brownsboro community. In the days following Danielle’s death, he has been overwhelmed by the concern the community has shown for his family.

“The whole community has just reached out to us and helped in so many ways. My wife had lived here a long time, but I’m a recent transplant. I wondered what it was about this place that so drew her to this community. Now I know,” Fincher said.

Yura was a member of the Brownsboro Golden Girls Drill Team and lettered in golf. She also kept an active lifestyle away from school, Fincher said.

“She loved four-wheeling, drill team, talking on the phone like a typical teenager girl,” Fincher said. “She was also close to her two little sisters, Bailey and Ashlyn.”

Fincher said Yura had planned to be married to Clifton Mire III of Chandler soon after the baby was born.

Mire said he had been dating Yura for about eight weeks.

“We went to school together. We were friends for about five years,” Mire said

Yura worked at the Brookshire’s grocery at Highway 64 and the Loop in Tyler. She was on pregnancy leave at the time of her death.

“She didn’t want to stop working. They told her she had to take off for health reasons,” Mire said.

The memorial earlier this week was organized mainly through the efforts of the Brownsboro Volunteer Fire Department. Yura had been training with the department and was looking forward to becoming a member after the birth of her first child.

“We thought it would be just a few close friends. It kind of snowballed,” firefighter Brian “Smokey” McAteer said. “Other fire departments, teachers and students came out. Most of the 2007 class was there.”

Trending Video

Recommended for you