Athens High School held a drive-in baccalaureate service for the Class of 2020 on Tuesday using an FM radio transmitter to broadcast to those gathered in the AHS parking lot. Bel Air Elementary teacher Juan Moreno, who is also the bilingual teacher at First Baptist Athens, delivered the message to seniors. “How do we handle things that come into our life where we say, ’That’s not fair. That’s not right’?" … We have to keep pushing. Mr. Stiles said that, and I thought it was perfect. We have to keep pushing.” Senior Class President Oudom Chan, in his address to classmates, said: "Although it may seem intimidating during these times, I know that we, the class of 2020, can overcome anything else coming our way in life. This was definitely not how we envisioned our senior year. But we still have so much ahead of us, and it’s our responsibility to make it what we want it to be. At the end of the day and through all this uncertainty, it’s still our generation’s world to shape."
This Week's Circulars
On Tuesday, May 26th, Wanda Adair, loving wife and mother of two children, passed away at the age of 67. Wanda was born on September 19, 1952 in Athens, Tx to Raymond and Margie Magness. She married James Randall Adair on June 25, 1971 and they would have celebrated their 49th wedding annive…
Peggy Ruth Wathen, of Houston, passed away on May 22, 2020. She was born on October 16th, 1933 in Cross Roads to the late Reba Frances Wathen and James Richard Wathen. She is survived by her sister Joan (Wathen) Maniscalco and her husband Joseph; James R. Wathen and his wife Jeanne; nieces a…
- Henderson County confirms three more COVID-19 cases for total of 55.
- Motorcycle crash kills Malakoff man
- Crash kills Frankston man Saturday in Henderson County
- East Texas fatal wrecks pile up
- New medical clinic opens
- Tax protest period coming
- Henderson County Sheriff's Office investigates suspicious death
- Old Fiddlers Reunion continues in spite of adversity
- County unemployment rate almost doubles
- Longtime Athens teacher Stella Pace passes away at 101.