Saturday, February 14
• Youth of Athens First United Methodist Church will host a Valentine Dinner and Newlywed Game Show on Saturday, February 14, in the church Fellowship Hall. A full dinner will be served at 6 pm followed by a hilarious version of the classic Newlywed Game. Cost is $15 per person and $25 per couple. Tickets may be purchased at the church office located at 225 Lovers Lane. Proceeds will help fund a Spring Break Mission trip to McCurdy School in Espanola, New Mexico. For more information you can call the church at 903-675-5161.
• Henderson County Performing Arts Center will present its annual Valentine's Day special event, “Death by Chocolate.” This year, the event will have a cabaret atmosphere with romantic songs and delectable chocolate treats. Two seatings will be at 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Cost is $20/person in the Black Box Theatre at HCPAC, 400 Gibson Road, Athens. Call 903-675-3908 for reservations.
• Henderson County Performing Arts Center’s “The 39 Steps” is a riotous comedy spoof of an Alfred Hitchcock spy thriller. Show time is 7:30 p.m. Reservations are strongly suggested. Individual adult tickets are $17. Call 903-675-3908, or go online at www.hcpac.org. HCPAC is located at 400 Gibson Road, Athens.
Sunday, February 15
• For the Love of Art Show and Sale will be from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. in Star Harbor. The show is a "must see" event for Henderson County art lovers. The Star Harbor Watercolor Society's annal exhibition features a unique variety of artistic style, color, subject matter and technique - all original watercolor artwork. Artists will be present to meet those who attend. This is a free admission event, complete with refreshments - also free. Location: Star Harbor City Hall, 99 Sunset Blvd. Directions: Turn onto FM 3062 just north of Malakoff at the Fire Station on TXHwy 198; continue past the high school 1.4 miles into Star Harbor, veer left at Y building on right at golf course. Contact person Celene Terry 903-451-4016.
• Special video presentation with Billy Graham, “Heaven”, presented at First Baptist Church-GBC on Sunday, February 15 and 22 at 6 p.m. Everyone welcome. For questions call 903-887-6887, ext. 3.
• The annual Methodist Men charity chili cook-off will be held at 5 p.m in the Athens FUMC Activities Building, 225 Lovers Lane. Live and silent auctions will be held. Proceeds from the auctions support local charities. Enjoy a complimentary chili dinner while bidding on a variety of fantastic baked goods, services and goods.
Monday, February 16
• Henderson County senior citizens will sponsor a country western dance at the Senior Citizens Center on Highway 31 East from 7-9 p.m. All ages are welcome. Music will be provided by the Hwy 31 Band as they celebrate Mardi Gras.
Friday, February 27
• Knights of Columbus, Mary Queen of Heaven Council Malakoff and Council of Catholic Women, will be hosting a Fish Fry and Shrimp dinner Friday, February 27, from 4 to 7:30 p.m. at the Malakoff Community Center located on Hwy 198 at Star Harbor Road. Menu to also include, French fries, hush puppies, coleslaw, ice tea, coffee and home baked goods as long as they last. Tickets may be purchased at the door. Dine in or Take Out. This event is to benefit local charities.
Tuesday, March 3
• The Kiwanis Club will serves pancakes from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the Cain Center. Cost is $6 per person in advance or $7 at the door. Under 8 eat for $3. Serving will be from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tickets are available at Citizens National Bank, Citizens State Bank, First State Bank Downtown, Heritage Land Bank, Properity Bank, Texas Trust and any Kiwanis Member. Proceeds benefitthe programs of the Athens Kiwanis Club serving the children of Athens.
Saturday, March 14
• Come jig and jog with us at the Cain Center in the 5K and one mile fun run. Cost is: $10 dog registreation (includes bandana); $25 early registration, ends March 12; $30 after March 12. You may register on active.com until 5 p.m., March 12. Registration includes a T-shirt and a ticket for door prizes. There will be awards for 5K, 1st-3rd place in age divisions. Non-perishable food items will be donated to Atens Food Pantry, Inc. Cain Center is located at 915 S. Palestine St. in Athens. For more information, call 903-677-2000 .
Saturday, March 21
• Run or walk a one-mile trail as part of the Malakoff ISD color run. Wear your whitest clothes and prepare to leave completely colored. Registration starts at 8 a.m. before the race kicks off at 9 a.m. at Malakoff High School. All ages welcome. Tickets are $10 for one runner and $35 for a team of four. Proceeds benefit the Malakoff High School prom committee. For more details, www.malakoffisd.org and click the high school page.
Saturday, March 28
• The Library at Cedar Creek Lake will hold its annual Denim & Diamonds event on Saturday, March 28, at the Athens Country Club. The library depends heavily on Denim & Diamonds to provide critically needed operating funds. As in past years, there will be much entertainment, dancing, a fabulous dinner, refreshments, live and silent auctions featuring incredible trips, jewelry, event tickets, and much, much more, along with a number of surprise guests. Tickets and sponsorships can be purchased at The Library at Cedar Creek Lake in Seven Points.
• Henderson County Girls Softball Association is sign-ups every Saturday through Feb. 28 at Cain Park, 10 a.m. until Noon. For more information, contact Ron Sharp at 903-539-3887.
• East Texas Center for Independent Living (ETCIL) is holding Life Skills classes for people with disabilities. The classes are at the Andrews Center Diversified industries building, 1450 Flatcreek Road in Athens. The classes are offered each Tuesday from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.ETCIL offers a variety of life skills training opportunities, including social skills, nutrition awareness, job search/interviewing skills, reading comprehension and money management.In addition, ETCIL is in need of volunteers to assist the trainer with the classes. If you would be interested in being a volunteer, or have questions about the program, please contact Ed Cozart or Patrican Perkins at 903-581-7542.
• Daylight Donuts is having a a food drive for the needy, “Give a Can, if you Can.” They are open Tuesday through Sunday, 5 a.m. to noon, and closed on Monday. Bring non-perishable food to the location at 400 S. Palestine St., Athens. Proceeds will be turned into the Athens Food Pantry. For more information, call James Anderson, 903-675-2968.
• Henderson County Performing Arts Center has a “work day” every Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. No heavy lifting. Costumes need to be washed and put away, dressing rooms and kitchen cleaned and just general spiffing up. Come to the Main Stage Theatre, and we will put you to work. Pizza at noon for workers. Call 903-675-3908 for further information.
• The Alzheimer’s Support Group meets the last Tuesday of each month at 1:30 p.m. at Park Highlands Nursing Home, 711 Lucas Dr. If you are a caregiver, friend, know someone who shows signs of dementia, or would simply like to learn more about this disease, you are welcome to join us. Refreshments will be served. You may call Sandra Ebbs at 903-675-8538 for more information.
• Greater Athens Lions Club monthly meetings are held at Tilo’s Cuisine at noon every third Thursday. The public is invited.
•Sabbath Keepers Fellowship & Prison Ministry is looking for volunteers. “If you are a generous, enthusiastic, and energetic person between the ages of 10 and 99 who wants to make a difference in someone’s life, you are just the person we are looking for,” Lisa Haufler, Director, Sabbath Keepers Fellowship, said. Some of the many areas in which volunteers are needed include: office help (data entry, ordering, answering the phone), fundraising, answer inmate correspondence, become a mentor or pen-pal, computer and website help, go into the prisons for services (training available). For information on how you can become involved, call Lisa at 903-489-1930.
• Water Aerobics at the Cain Center is Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Monthly fee is $25. Tamara Barnett is the Certified Instructor. The activity consists of a low-impact water workout designed to improve cardiovascular health, joint wellness, muscle strength and range of motion. For more information on class call the Cain Center at 903-677-2000.
• Lunches are served at the Henderson County Senior Citizens Center Monday through Thursday at 11:30 a.m. A $3 Donation is requested. Homebound meals are available. Please sign up or call to reserve your meal at least 24 hours in advance. Contact 903-675-8577. Also, coffee and games are available from 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Thursday. The senior citizens center is located at 3344 Highway 31 East, Athens. Skip Bo, Dominoes, 42, Cards and more, along with free play pool table, country western dances and more are available at the center.
• On the first and third Monday of each month, there are dances to country western music at the Henderson County Senior Center at 7 p.m. There is a live band. Admission is $5. Every Wednesday morning at 9 a.m., there is also a live band for a donation of $3. Contact 903-675-4026. There is a live band also on the second Friday of each month at 7 p.m. with a $5 admission. Contact 903-880-2357.
• On the first and third Friday of each month at the Henderson County Senior Citizens Center, there is the Pea Pickers Square Dance for an admission of $6. Contact 903-675-2120.
• Line dance lessons are available at the Henderson County Senior Citizens Center every Thursday morning from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Fee is $5 per class. Contact 903-469-3986 to instructor Holly Blair.
• There are free health checks on the first and third Wednesday mornings from 9 a.m. at the Star Care Home Health Care on the first Wednesday. Contact 903-677-8301. It is also at Cedar Lake Home Health and Hospice on the third Wednesday. Contact 903-489-2043.