Athens Review, Athens, Texas

Breaking News

Homepage

October 26, 2009

Scarin’ up some fun!

Firefighters to heat up Halloween activities

There’s scary-then there’s SCARY.

For the fourth straight year the Athens Professional Firefighter’s Association will open the creaky doors to its annual haunted house at 7 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.

Chris Womble says it will be the most frightening yet, partly due to its spooky location at the old Henderson County Hospital in Athens.

“It’s so dark in here, when we shut the holes in the windows, its really creepy,” Womble said.

What you can’t see is matched by what you can see ­– a collection of bats, skeletons and things that will make your heart go bump in the night.

“There’s been a buzz about it every since we got permission to use the old hospital,” Womble said. “This is going to be something really special.

The hospital was once the site of the Athens Jaycees Haunted House, but had been out of use for years because of asbestos at the site.

Two years ago, Henderson County removed the asbestos and sold the building. The new owners granted the Firefighters Association permission to recreate some of the terror of Halloween’s gone by.

“Another highlight will be the chainsaw room,” Womble said. “People always like that.”

Womble promises some scary scenes in between the haunted rooms, just to add to the ambiance.

Volunteers have been working extra hard this year to get the house ready for its debut. Heavy rains have dripped through leaks in the 60 year-old building, causing Womble and crew to patch the holes as they prepare the fright rooms.

“I’ve never seen it rain like this at Halloween,” Womble said, “But no matter what, we’re going to get it ready.”

Admission is $7 per person, except on Halloween night, when $5 will get you in the door.

Womble thanks Hayden Elder for helping keep the ticket prices low as sponsor of the event.

The old hospital is located on Bryson Drive.

1
Text Only
In the News
  • Trial begins in case over Oklahoma City bombing

    The FBI has done a thorough search of its archives and found no evidence that more Oklahoma City bombing videos exist, federal attorneys told a judge on Monday during the first day of a trial that has rekindled long-dormant questions about whether others were involved in the devastating 1995 attack.

    July 28, 2014

Local News
Sports
Opinion
Biz Marquee
Seasonal Content
Must Read
AP Video
Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming UN Security Council Calls for Gaza Cease-fire Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow