ATHENS — Athens High School freshman Stormy Hendrick performs during halftime of the Hornet football team’s win over the Diboll Lumberjacks last Friday night at Bruce Field. The Pride of the Hornets Band will be taking its show on the road this Friday night, as the football team will travel to Wills Point. Kickoff in that game is set for 7:30 p.m.
- In the News
Congress races to finish veterans, highway bills
Congress is racing to wrap up legislation addressing chronic problems at the Veterans Affairs Department and a shortfall in highway money ahead of its five-week summer break. Deep divisions cast doubt on any resolution to the surge of immigrants at the border.
- Congress races to finish veterans, highway bills
- Local News
Hydrating first responders
First responders were invited Wednesday to the Athens Brookshire’s grocery to celebrate a promotion formulated by the store. When customers purchase five 32-ounce bottles of Gatorade, they will receive 200 points. Customers are encouraged to donate the Gatorade to first responders. The promotion will last one month. Shown, from left, are Brookshire’s Store Manager Charles Beasley, Athens Police Department Patrolman Wesley Hoover, APD Cpl. Billy Westover, APD Assistant Chief Rodney Williams, APD Lt. Jeremy Hugghins, APD Patrolman Taylor Chancellor, APD Sgt. Eddie Smith, APD Chief Buddy Hill, Athens Fire Department Firefighter Brian Davis, AFD Firefighter Aaron Munn and AFD Firefighter Payton Lambe.
- HC fine-tuning application to get CETZ funds
- Police arrest suspect with meth and scales
- Corbin to perform at Cain Center
- Bark for Life honors contributions of Canine Caregivers
- Hydrating first responders
Eustace ready for move up to Class 3A volleyball
The Eustace Lady Bulldog come into the 2014 volleyball season in a new classification and hopes for another district title.
- Running under the lights
- Looking for a championship
- Athens 9U All-Stars return to World Series in Longview
- Garrett Conley named honorable mention all-state by TXSWA
- Eustace ready for move up to Class 3A volleyball
Rolling into something new
She did it.
My baby girl rolled over for the first time this past week while daddy and mommy were watching closely.
As other major news broke across the county, watching my baby roll over for the first time was by far the biggest news of the week for me. Odd.
- Fanfare is a time to prepare for another season
- The greatest country in the world has hungry children
- Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase
- It was a week in the depth of heat, then cooler
- Rolling into something new