Athens Review, Athens, Texas

March 19, 2014


No. 8-ranked Trinity Valley heads into Elite 8 with a 88-85 win over Northeastern JC

Joe Elerson
The Athens Review

HUTCHINSON, KAN. — Sweet dreams and midnight madness made the second round of the NJCAA tournament even sweeter for the No. 8-ranked Trinity Valley Community College Cardinals in a 88-85 win over the Northeastern Junior College Plainsman.

TVCC will  now play the Harcum Bears in the Elite 8 on Thursday afternoon at 2 p.m.

The Cardinals game, which was scheduled to begin around 8 p.m. did not start until 10:10 p.m. Central Daylight time from the Hutchinson Sports Arena.

An earlier game during the tournament went into double overtime forcing the late start for the evening session.

This was the Cardinals second game of the tournament following Monday’s thrilling 68-65 win over Pratt Community College in the opening round of the tournament.

TVCC came into their first tournament since 1999 as the No. 12 seed in the tournament.

They finished eighth in the final NJCAA poll released in February.

The Cardinals finished out the season at 29-6 on the year.

The Northeastern Junior College Plainsmen (31-4) came into the tournament as the No. 5 seed.

They were also ranked No. 6 in the final NJCAA national poll released on Feb. 25.

From the very start of the game, the Plainsman came out like a team on a mission and dominated TVCC from the opening tip.

Northeastern jumped out to an 8-0 lead on a dunk by Bronson Moton with 18 minutes remaining.

Clarence Williams was then able to put them on the scoreboard on their next possession as he nailed a wide opener jumper for the 8-2 deficit with 17:50 remaining in the opening half.

TVCC was able to put together a nice little run and with 7:24 remaining, Williams was able to cut the Plainsman lead to 31-22.

The Cardinals continued to show their resiliency and with 5:30 minutes remaining, Dedrick Basile found Robinson to cut the deficit to 33-28.

TVCC was able to trim the deficit down to 35-34 as Malcolm Riley was able to drive in for the easy layup with 3:45 remaining for their closest lead of the first half.

Even with a physical ball game, the never say die attitude of the Cardinals was strong as they were able to battle to back to with a 42-37 at the half.

At the half, the Cardinals shot 14-of-29 from the field for 48 percent and were six-of-10 from the three point line.

TVCC had their biggest deficit of the first half at 27-11 and was able to battle back with strong play on the outside as Malcolm Riley and Robinson led the Cardinals with nine points each in the first half.

The Cardinals sophomore leader Octavius Ellis was held to only four points and one rebound in the first half of play.

After only committing five turnovers in their win over Pratt in the opening round, TVCC was called for 12 turnovers in the first half of play on Tuesday night.

The second half did not start off right for the Cardinals as they had two turnovers on back-to-back possessions.

With 17:02 remaining, the Cardinals were able to cut into the lead and get to within eight points at, 50-42, on a free-throw by Ellis.

With 11:30 remaining in the game, Ingram was able to get TVCC to within six as he drained a three pointer for the 63-57 deficit.

With every possession, the Cardinals continued to try and chip away at the Plainsman lead as Dedrick Basile forced his way to the basket for the old-fashioned three point play and a 67-63 deficit at the nine minute mark.

With less than six minutes remaining, Basile found Ingram to cut the deficit to, 73-69.

Moton extended the lead to, 75-72, with a rebound and putback to  put the lead back to 75-72.

With less than four minutes remaining, TVCC grabbed its first lead of the game as Basile drained a fast break layup and free throw with 3:42 remaining for a, 77-75 lead.

TVCC was led in scoring by Basile with 18 points, while Ellis and Riley had 14 points each. Ingram finished with 12 points, while Robinson 11 points.