Athens Review, Athens, Texas

September 19, 2012


National poll sees new No. 1, three SWJCFC teams gone

Jayson Larson
The Athens Review

ATHENS — This week’s latest NJCAA Division I football poll is out, and it didn’t bring good news for the Trinity Valley Community College Cardinals.

Then again, a lot of teams probably felt that way.

The Cardinals, who have lost two consecutive games, fell out of the poll after reaching as high as No. 6 in the poll two weeks ago. Two other Southwest Junior College Football Conference teams, Blinn and Tyler, also fell out of the poll. Navarro dropped to No. 8 despite a big win over Cisco, and Kilgore — a 34-16 winner over TVCC last week — rose from No. 19 to No. 10.

There was a lot of drastic movement in the poll — which, for the first time, began using a computer-ranking system similar to one used in major college football. The NJCAA’s Football Computer Rankings comprise 33 percent of the poll, with the other 67 percent coming from human voters.

Mississippi Gulf Coast moved from No. 4 to No. 1, while former No. 1 East Mississippi fell to No. 4. Iowa Western jumped from No. 5 to No. 2, while Butler went from No. 2 to No. 3. Arizona Western dropped from No. 3 to No. 5.