Athens Review, Athens, Texas

December 12, 2013


Malakoff picks up opening round win with 56-54 win over Longview Pine Tree

Joe Elerson
The Athens Review

BROWNSBORO — The Malakoff Tigers improved to 4-1 on the season with a last second win over the Pine Tree Pirates on Thursday.

With the win, the Tigers were scheduled to face Bullard in the second round of the tournament at  4 p.m.

Both teams went back-and-forth on Thursday in the opening round until Jared Givens sealed the win with a jumper for the 55-52 lead with 14 seconds remaining.

Givens then nailed one-of-two free throws and Malakoff nailed another free throw with less than one second remaining for the 56-54 win.

The Tigers could not contain the shooting of senior Blake Adams — who finished with a game-high 25 points, along with 13 points from junior Mason Hays.

Leading the way for the Tigers were senior Deric Greenhaw with 11 points and junior Jared Givens. Malakoff also had eight points each from Garrian McCallister, Kendrick Hornbuckle and Dariuhn Jackson.

In the opening quarter of play, MHS battled its way back from a seven-point hole as QT Barker drained a three-pointer, followed by a layup from AJ‚ÄąCook, two free throws by Hornbuckle and a three-pointer by Hornbuckle for the 17-14 lead heading into the second quarter.

In the second quarter, the Tigers continued to put on the pressure and took a 24-23 lead on a rebound basket by Justin Gerich with 4:08 remaining in the half.

The Tigers then outscored Pine Tree, 8-5, the remainder of the first half.

The Tigers offense had a tough time scoring coming out of the break as PT went on a 14-6 run to regain the lead heading into the fourth quarter.

With 42 seconds remaining in the quarter, Adams received the pass from Caleb Robbinson and converted an old-fashioned three point play to give them a 42-40 lead.

After falling behind by six early in the fourth, the Tigers went on a 9-0 run as Jackson drained a jumper by missed the free throw to give MHS a 51-50 lead with 2:06 remaining in the game.

The Pirates then regained the lead with one minute remaining as Brett Lucy hit one-of-two free throws before Givens iced the game for the Tigers.