From Staff Reports
Athens Daily Review
Van Zandt County Fire Marshal Chuck Allen is investigating a deadly house explosion.
An elderly women was confirmed dead after an explosion at a residence in rural Van Zandt County Sunday evening.
The incident occurred about 5 p.m. near Farm-to-Market Road 47. According to Allen, the property had a Mabank address.
The explosion occurred on County Road 2450 off FM 47 – northeast of Mabank.
The woman’s name has not been released in an attempt to notify next of kin.
Officials said the other four people who lived at the residence were not home at the time of the explosion.
Van Zandt County Fire Department, along with several other fire crews and law enforcement agencies, responded to the fire.
Allen posted on Facebook Monday that he had no reason to believe this was anything but an accident.
“The cause of the explosion and fire that claimed the life of a Van Zandt County resident is an accident,” Allen said. “The cause of the explosion was a partially open propane valve on a line that ran into the residence that was not being used. The propane seeped into the residence and something ignited the vapors shortly after the resident arrived home Sunday evening.”