The Athens Review
The Athens Independent School District Board of Trustees approved a budget for 2013 of $1.03738 per $100 of taxable income at its monthly meeting Thursday. It is the same rate as was calculated for 2010, 2011 and 2012.
AISD, which serves 3,396 students and a staff of 461, also receives about $4.6 million of federal and state program grants.
In their executive session Thursday, trustees accepted resignations for Haywood Thomas, a BIC teacher at Bridges and Kate Schuler, a fifth grade teacher at Athens Intermediate School.
New employees include Sarah Aldridge, Emily Hart, Michele Burnett, Karen Jones, Tammy Clemmons, Debbie Dashner, Marcos Roye, Kelye Garcie, Don Whited, Lisa Morgan, Michael Black and Ashton Elder.
Besides the tax rate, among the items also approved were:
• an application for the Optional Flexible School Day Program for at-risk students;
• an out-of-state student travel item, introduced by Band Director Rusty Lay. The request referred to a trip planned for students to Washington, D.C., and a performance by the band at the World War II Memorial. The group will travel to their destination by bus;
• a waiver of Professional Development and Appraisal System instrument (PDAS) and greater concentration on adopting the Teacher Advanced Project (TAP) for the advancement of teachers and students.
For items involving expenditure above $10,000, trustees approved the following:
• purchase of 953 netbooks for students at a cost of $50 per unit;
• purchase of two school buses at $92,400 per bus;
• a job requiring $17,900 for purchase and installation of tile at the Bel Air Elementary cafeteria;
• a $17,000 purchase of the Lead4ward assessment training program, for training related to the STAAR tests. The training is for teachers, remediates and under-performing students;
• instructional materials allotment for Mimio board devices, or smart boards, with an approved disbursement of $88,800 for 40 units for Bel Air Elementary, South Athens Elementary, Athens Intermediate School and Athens Middle School;
• instructional materials allotment, Read 180, for students with dyslexia. The cost is $22,074.25;
• instructional materials allotment of Mentoring Minds workbooks, a project costing $26,254.27.