The Athens Review
Taylor Davis of the Brownsboro FFA and his steer, “Hoss” were an eye-catching pair at the Henderson County Livestock show and came away with the Grand Championship.
The 1,255 pound entry, who almost matched Davis’s orange plaid shirt, was judged best of the 50 steers in the show. Davis, a Brownsboro junior, took first place in Class III which also produced the Reserve Grand Champion, Grant Hirsch of Horizon 4H.
Davis’s steer sold for $8,500 at the premium action on Saturday. Hirsch’s reserve grand earned a$5,000 payday.
The Friday night show was Davis’ first time in the big Friday night event.
“I was a little bit nervous at first, but we worked through it,” Davis said. “I’ve shown pigs the last three or four years and game birds, but this is my first time for a steer,” Davis said.
The Judge for the event was Gary Clayton, AgriLIfe Extension Agent for Wise County. He had high praise for the winner.
“The steer out of Class III has a really long neck,” Clayton said. “ He’s a nice steer, a big bodied and big muscled steer for his frame size.”
Henderson County AgriLife Extension Agent Rick Hirsch said Davis was impressive in his first outing at the steer show.
“Taylor did a super job,” Hirsch said. “It was a good show and a tough show.”
Class I, the lightweight, was won by a 1,044 pound steer shown by Chad Tindel of Eustace FFA. Class II was taken by Claire Teague of Mabank FFA. The winner in Class IIII was last year’s grand champion Breck Alexander of Cayuga FFA.
The sale on Saturday also brought big payoffs for the other Grand and Reserve Grand winners from the show. The following lists the entries and the payoff prices.
• Grand Champion Market Hog - Luke Mills, LaPoynor FFA, $3,750
• Reserve Champion Market Hog - Josie Driskell, Malakoff FFA, $2,250
• Grand Champion Market Lamb - Samantha Woegerer, Cross Roads 4H, $2,500
• Reserve Champion Market Lamb - Makayla Arnold, Cross Roads FFA, $2,150
• Grand Champion Broiler - Cooper Norman, Cross Roads 4H, $2,500
• Reserve Champion Broiler - Cooper Norman, Cross Roads 4H, $1,500
• Grand Champion Fryer - Rance Pillans, LaPoynor FFA, $1,750
• Reserve Champion Fryer – Jarrett Riley, La Poynor FFA, $1,200
• Grand Champion Goat - Tyler Johnson, Horizon 4H, $2,500
• Reserve Champion Goat - Courtney Wilkins, Cayuga FFA. $2,000
• Grand Champion Yearling - Robert Maple, East Texas Young Riders, $1,500
• Reserve Champion Yearling - Robert Maple, East Texas Young Riders $1,000
• Grand Champion Shop Project - Athens FFA, $2,250
• Reserve Champion Shop Project - Brownsboro FFA, $1,000
• Grand Champion Senior Project- Cole Surls and Colton Dowell, Cross Roads FFA, $1,500
• Grand Champion Junior Project - Hagen Dowell, Cross Roads FFA, $875