• Eastern Hills Church of Christ, located at 1200 East Corsicana Street, will have a Colossal Coaster World vacation bible school for nursery age kids through sixth grade. The VBS will run from 5:30-8 p.m. each night. For more information or to register, you can contact the church at 903-675-3975. Registration forms can be found at the church office or you can register during the VBS.
• Carroll Springs United Methodist Church, located at County Road 4600 in Athens will host a Hayday VBS from 6-to-9 p.m. for children to grow in their friendship with Jesus through bible study, music, crafts and games. A meal will be provided each night. For more information, call 903-922-7258.
• Virginia Hill Baptist Church, located at 8944 CR 4613 in Athens will host a Colossal Coaster vacation bible school from 9 a.m. to noon each day.
• The Bois D'arc Baptist Church located at 310 Anderson County Rd. 465 in Palestine will host a Colossal Coaster World VBS from 6-to-9 p.m. Through every twist, turn, and dive, Colossal Coaster World will challenge kids to face their fears and trust God. There's excitement around every curve as kids learn that God has given them a spirit of power, love, and sound judgment. This VBS is the ultimate ride! At the end of the week, kids will want to do it all over again. For more information, contact the church at 903-549-2373.
• Harbor Baptist Church in Payne Springs will host “God's Backyard Bible Camp” from 6-8:30 p.m. each evening. Pre-registration will be held July 10 and July 17 from 6-7 p.m. and registration begins July 21 at 5:30 p.m. The church is located at 12059 State Highway 198 in Payne Springs. For more information, call 903-451-2866.
• Grace Bible Church, located at 6400 S. Palestine St. in Athens, will host their very first VBS for children entering Kindergarten through fifth grade. Join us in ancient Athens, where we'll explore what life was like for the Apostle Paul on his dangerous journey to share the truth. There will be a Greek marketplace where your child will create cool projects and eat some interesting new foods. The event will run from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. each night. For more information, call 903-670-1782.
• The First Baptist Church in Murchison will have a vacation bible school called “Colossal Coaster World” from 9 a.m. to noon each day.
• Central Baptist Church will have a vacation bible school called “The Mighty God” from 6-to-8:30 p.m. The event is for children age three-years old through sixth grade. The three nights are called sacrificial love, sure salvation and supply service. For more information, call the church at 903-675-3028.
• The Lake Athens Baptist Church, located at 3270 CR 4807, will have a kids christian olympics for kids age four-year old through the sixth grade from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. There will be indoor and outdoor activities scheduled for the kids. The church will provide two meals during the day. They ask if your child needs a ride to call them at, 903-675-4008.
July 29-August 2
• The First United Church of Mabank will host a vacation bible school from 9-to-11:30 a.m where children will learn about Paul's journey through Athens. The registration deadline is July 29 or you can register online at www.groupvbs-pro.com/vbs/hl/FUMNMabankVBS2013. You can also call, 903-887-3691.
- In the News
Palestine man arrested on animal cruelty charges
Anderson County Sheriff's Office deputies arrested a Palestine man Thursday morning on animal cruelty charges after seizing nine dogs from a residence on ACR 415 earlier this week that were living in “deplorable” conditions.
Final results from Tuesday's primary election
Early Voting Results
Early Voting in Henderson County. 7:30 p.m.
RadioShack closing 1,100 stores as troubles grow
There will soon be about 1,100 fewer places to buy batteries.
RadioShack said Tuesday that it plans to close up to 1,100 stores, or about a fifth of its U.S. locations.
Sen. Cruz won't endorse Cornyn in Texas GOP race
The sniping between establishment Republicans and tea partyers resumed Thursday as Texas Sen. Ted Cruz refused to endorse his state's senior senator in next week's Republican primary.
2014 train season set to begin March 1 at Texas State Railroad
The Texas State Railroad’s 2014 train season officially begins on Saturday, March 1. Trains will depart from both the Palestine and Rusk depots at 11am and pass each other at the midway point, the Mewshaw Siding
Abbott promises to fight gay marriage ruling
Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has promised to appeal a federal court ruling that the state's ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional.
Federal judge strikes down Texas gay marriage ban
A federal judge declared Texas' ban on gay marriage unconstitutional Wednesday, but left it in place until an appeals court can rule on the case.
It’s ‘Flip Flop Therapy’ at Cedar Creek Lake
As we say goodbye to old man winter – let the sun shine in.
Suspect charged in Austin gunfire, 2 wounded
A man suspected of opening fire during an argument on Austin's popular Sixth Street has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
- More In the News Headlines
- Palestine man arrested on animal cruelty charges